Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Warrior spirit?

Good evening readers.

I just got back from watching "Tomorrow, when the war began"
It was a decent movie (for an Aussie flick) but I'll go over that later, as it made me think.

First things first, hope everyone had a great weekend. I got to spend mine over at my parents place house-sitting. I invited a friend over and we had an awesome night of movies, chocolate and chatting. It was fun and spazzy, as both our personality's seem to be. I also spent a heck of a lot of time looking for more work. It still proves to be elusive at best. 

I also took the mountain bike out for a spin while I was in Wainuiomata. (hometown)
I ended up going to visit my old high school. It's been a few years since I have gone back there. It was shut down nine years ago now. But I think people still used it for club meetings and whatnot. 
Oh one thing I forgot to tell you, some little shits tried burning it down a few months back. They succeeded in bringing down the entirety of D block and also singed the library somewhat (don't worry those of you who are bibliophile's, the library had all books removed ages ago).

So there I go, nice sunny day, listening to some music while I ride. Happy as a clam, and then I start going up the entrance drive to the school. It is an understatement to say that the school had gone through "a little bit" of neglect. Chain-link fences were ripped down. Many, many windows were boarded up. And the second story ones were mostly smashed by rocks. It definably brought me down from my high buzz.

The worst devastation however, was left for the hulking ruins of D block. The place was nothing but foundations and 1/4 original height walls. It was so surreal walking through the wreckage. There was no sound of traffic, no birds chirping. Just me, the sun and the wind. Memories came flooding back. 
The library, where me and my friends used to hang just outside. 
The second story of D block, where we all used to have skateboard jousting wars along the long corridors. The sex education room, which was slightly depressed into the slope, with most of the walls still standing, but no roof or windows. I used to have a riot in that room when the teacher would get us to put condoms over bananas! 

I even noticed that one of the wood panels boarding the library doors was ripped open, so I decided to take a look inside. I managed to squeeze myself through the narrow opening, but cut my knee on some stray glass. The interior made me think I was in a post apocalyptic movie. 
Glass was all over the carpet. The carpet was growing dark, think moss thanks to the gaping hole in the roof. Tables and chairs were decaying and rusting. The place had been scavenged and looked like someone had recently camped out here. It was so unreal ya know?


Imagine coming back to your school in five or ten years time. Seeing it living as a ghost of its former self. 
The experience is not a pleasant one. Even if I did hate high school with a vengeance, it was still MY school, and I feel like these runts that burned it and violated it took away a small piece of my history. What an experience. 


As a capper, the movie I was mentioning was interesting. It had it's fair share of explosions, but what got me the most was what it made me start thinking about. 
I never have been a patriotic person. I have always said I would never enlist and risk my life in some foreign country for some generals ideals of peace or greed, but that movie got my brain ticking. What if my country was invaded? How would I feel about my countrymen being killed? Our land being raped and pillaged?

It made me rethink my priorities on freedom. We all have freedom in the "West Countries" but what has our generation done for it? All of us students and clerks, barmen and store keeps? How much do we REALLY value our freedom? It made me feel that if this situation broke out in New Zealand, I would survive, rally together a band of survivors, and start some serious counter attacking on the mother fuckers murdering our land, our people.

I don't know if I would start out with courage, but as the saying goes, "You don't get courage until after you have completed the task at hand. However scary that may be."
There would come a point where I would have to make a decision. Whether that decision will be based on fear or courage, I do not know.

Thanks for reading guys, have a good week and I'll be back for more tomorrow with pictures this time :P

No comments:

Post a Comment